Feb 13 | Volunteer Youth Mentor | Brisbane
The benevolent arm of the YMCA of Brisbane, YMCA Social Impact (legally named Y-Care South East Qld Inc.) exists to serve people in our community who are disadvantaged. The YMCA School-Based Mentoring Program is now recruiting skilled volunteer Youth Mentors who have a personal and/ or professional interest in supporting at risk young people experiencing behavioural, social and mental health problems.
Youth Mentors have two primary responsibilities: to build and maintain positive mentoring relationship(s) and, to actively facilitate the development of the mentoring team culture. This program will be run on all four of our School Campuses including Kingston, North Lakes, Ipswich and Acacia Ridge.
By developing a positive mentoring relationship, young people have the ability to develop social and emotional capabilities in a safe, non-judgemental environment. Youth Mentors provide learning opportunities for young people, through role modelling pro-social behaviours.
Within a group context, Youth Mentors engage young people in informal (e.g. conversation or a game of basketball) and formal group activities that follow a learning curriculum based on the Journey To Employment Framework. Team development builds connectedness amongst Youth Mentors and young people and serves to create an empowering and supportive team culture, to allow organic mentoring relationships to develop.
The program duration will be for approximately eight (8) months, commencing in March 2018. Youth Mentors are required to attend one weekly session at one of the five YMCA Vocational School Campuses.
Location details and program days at each campus will be as follows:
- YMCA Clem Jones Senior Campus, located at Kingston, 9:30am – 12:30pm every Monday
- YMCA Clem Jones Junior Campus, located at Kingston, 9:30am – 12:30pm every Friday
- YMCA Ipswich Campus, located at Bundamba, 9:30am – 12:30pm every Thursday
- YMCA Moreton Bay Campus, located at North Lakes, 10:30am – 1:30pm every Friday
- YMCA Acacia Ridge Campus, located at Acacia Ridge, 9:30am – 12:30pm every Thursday
To be eligible for this role, volunteers must:
- Attend an interview;
- Possess a current Blue Card or be willing to obtain one;
- Undergo three professional reference checks; and
- Complete mandatory YMCA training and ongoing professional development.
This is a great professional development opportunity whilst also giving back to the community.
Interested? Apply Now!