LEAP coordinates programs and services at the following locations to support people with a disability and their parents/carers.
Our LEAP program is designed to support NDIS Participants and their parents and carers in accessing YMCA services that focus on NDIS goals.
LEAP provides NDIS Participants with:
The service also provides parents and carers with the opportunity:
Mario requires support for life skills, including fine motor tasks such as dressing, food preparation, eating, and his personal hygiene routine. He began attending a swimming program twice a week at WIRAC, which was personalised according to the recommendations of a physiotherapist and occupational therapist. Mario was initially unsafe in the pool, and would become extremely upset if not allowed to enter the water immediately.
Throughout the program, he has learnt to follow staff gestures and abide by the set routine before entering the pool. He now knows when to stop and wait, take off his shoes, and enter the water. Mario’s mother says she has seen consistent improvement in his behaviour and focus, especially on the days he attends swimming.
Our OSHC program began in 2013 at Aspley Special School after we identified a lack of After School or Vacation Care for young people with additional support needs. In 2016 the service was extended to an additional site at Mitchelton Special School.
We work with families and NDIS Participants to:
- Use NDIS goals to identify and document Participant support needs
- Develop individualised program documentation (goals/ strategies, medication, toileting, communication)
- Recommend therapists to Participants (Occupational, Speech, Physiotherapist and Psychologists)
- Operate at an increased staff ratio to ensure Participants’ needs are met
- Implement goal based strategies while each Participant completes OSHC activities
LEAP began operating at the Warwick Indoor Recreational and Aquatic Centre (WIRAC) in April 2018 to support people with a disability access the existing YMCA programs and services.
LEAP WIRAC can support the following goal areas for people who meet NDIS criteria:
- Increasing and assisting with social & community participation
- Improving health and wellbeing
- Improving daily living skills
- Assisting with early childhood intervention and other therapies
- Supporting children and adults to develop life skills in a safe environment
Participants and their families are encouraged to contact their respective Aspley/ Mitchelton/ WIRAC LEAP Coordinators, or the YMCA LEAP office on (07) 3440 4300 to discuss the enrolment process.